Washington State University’s “Profile of Small Farms in Washington State Agriculture” fact sheet reports a growing number of farm operators and owners who are women, with Washington State having a higher proportion of female principal operators than the national average with increases over the years.
- In 1997 female principals operated 13% of all farms or 5,379.
- In 2007 female principals operated 21% of all farms, or 8,090.
- Female principals manage 881,612 acres of Washington State farmland.
- Female principals sell $184,307,000 annually in farm products.
- Most common commodity; Cattle and calves, followed closely by poultry and eggs
Excerpts and information from “Profile of Small Farms in Washington State Agriculture” WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY EXTENSION FACT SHEET • FS072E
USDA. 2009a. 2007 Census of Agriculture: United States Summary and State Data. USDA. http://www.agcensus. usda.gov/Publications/2007/Full_Report/usv1.pdf.